Weather Maps

Weather Map



Local Weather

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Hiding Our Abuses

I first faced it five years when chemotherapy triggered the memories that I so carefully tried to bury for 50 years. I was molested and raped four times, but the worst one was when I was 14, I'm now 65. He is now in prison, but not for rape, even though he raped at least 6 other girls that summer. He is serving life in prison for first degree murder after shooting another boy in the back. Once in prison, he was also charged with raping another prison inmate.

I think we as a society need to improve sex education for everyone.. not only the mechanics of sex, which I received very little of when I was younger, but also anatomy, emotions, communication, respect and consent. I see men as much victims in this as anyone else, because they have been given the idea that sex is theirs for the taking and so they do. And that mentality is getting worse. No one told them about respect and consent, just to sow their wild oats, that if they become aroused by a woman, it's her fault, that they have the right to take what they want and no doesn't really mean no, and boys will be boys. Both genders need to be told that sex is normal, healthy and acceptable without guilt and fear that so much of religion and society demands and teaches.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/15/why-it-took-me-decades-to-name-my-abuser.html

No comments: